Thursday, 17 April 2014

Whatever happed to specialists?

Specialist refers to an expert in a profession. 

Here are three specialists, their definitions I found on the internet.

An architect is a person trained and licensed to plan, design, and oversee the construction of buildings.

a person who designs, builds, or maintains engines, machines, or structures.

Building Surveyor
Chartered Building Surveyors is a type of Chartered Surveyor involved in all aspects of property and construction, from supervising large mixed-use developments to planning domestic extensions

With the new Building Control (Amended) Regulations S.I.9 2014 the building owner now must choose one of the above professional to become an assigned certifier for their project.
I am an architect and as such I love to design spaces to live and work in. More and more red tape and regulations are making my job more difficult. I do not mind responsibility, if it is shared equally.
At this stage I am afraid that good design will suffer. Not with me and my clients but in general. As the paper work seems to take centre stage. For me most important is liveability in my dwellings.
If getting the paper work right is more important than the building being built then that is a sad state of affairs. There more to a well designed building then filling out the proper forms.

Be warned anybody can still submit a planning application but only one of the professionals mentioned can submit a Commencement notice at the start of build and sign a Certificate of compliance at the end of build.

If you already have a assigned certifier in mind look them up:

Is your Architect registered? 
The Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI)

Is your Engineer registered? 
Engineers Ireland (EI) 
The Association of Consulting Engineers of Ireland (ACEI)

Is your Building Surveyor registered?
The Society of Chartered Surveyors of Ireland (SCSI)

Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Building Control (Amendment) Regulations (part2)

The new Building Control (Amendment) Regulation 2014  S.I-9 ( part 2) will come into force on 1st of April 2014.

This is in relation to the planning application that needs to be applied for before construction can start.

At application stage the building owner must nominate a "Assign Certifier Planning" 

The assigned certifier planning must be: neighbours son, friend's daughter, woodwork teacher, art student or anyone who can draw parallel lines and complete the application form.

The Assign Certifier Planning must certify to do the planning application to the best of their ability within a promised time frame.

PLANNING  CERTIFICATE forms can be found on