Tuesday, 15 September 2015

Overview building a Dwelling under SI 365 2015

1st September 2015 
Building Control (Amendment 2) Regulations S.I.365
BC(A2)R SI365 of 2015 as an alternative, 
in addition to S.I.9 of 2014, came into force.
With the new regulations (SI 365 of 2015) it is possible to Opt out of SI9 2014.
When Building a single house or an extension to a house of more than 40 square metres in area you may opt out of the full S.I.9 process. To avail of this facility you must sign a form of 'Declaration of Intention to Opt Out of Statutory Certification'. No need for a 'Design Certifier' and 'Assigned Certifier' needed for SI9 2014.

A Statutory Obligation, irrespective of whether the homeowner decides to comply with the statutory certification requirements or to follow the alternative process now provided for in the regulations, they must continue to meet their obligation under the Building Control Act 1990 to 2014 to ensure that the design and construction of the building concerned complies with the relevant requirements of the Building Regulations.

Homeowners should appraise themselves of any potential cost or other implications that may arise as a result of choosing to opt out of  the statutory certification process. Prior to deciding on whether
or not to avail of the opt out option, it is recommended that a
homeowner should consult with their solicitor.
Winkens Architecture can also advise about procedures.

Here is a brief guide

Overview building a Dwelling under SI 365 2015

Tuesday, 10 June 2014

Pyrite information page.

My question, is there no regulation on quarries?
Pyrite testing should be done at  the source, quarries.
Surly test intermittently would be better than NO testing at all.

How can builders test on site, before they use filling blockwork?

I have put together a few useful links on Pyrite: 

Monday, 5 May 2014

Overview of Regulations for an Average Dwelling

The Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2014 came into effect from 1st March 2014.

This is an RIAI architect's view of what is now needed for a typical dwellings construction, as advice for a Client (Building Owner).

Now more than ever the building of a dwelling is a team effort were various professionals must work together to achieve compliance.

Based on
> Many years of practical experience designing and supervising Home building.
 > The Code of Practice  for Inspecting and Certifying
Buildings and Works Building Control Regulations 2014 February, 2014
> Statutory Instruments S.I. No. 9 of 2014 -
Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2014
> Guide for Homeowners New responsibilities for homeowners under
Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations 2013

 This Overview  may be reproduced if credit is given to Winkens Architecture.

Down load sheet here:

Winkens Architecture  are delighted  to provide the services of the Dwelling designer.

We would be happy to provide the services of PSDP,  ‘Design Certifier’ and ‘Assigned Certifier’  for projects on which we are involved from the beginning.  

Thursday, 17 April 2014

Whatever happed to specialists?

Specialist refers to an expert in a profession. 

Here are three specialists, their definitions I found on the internet.

An architect is a person trained and licensed to plan, design, and oversee the construction of buildings.

a person who designs, builds, or maintains engines, machines, or structures.

Building Surveyor
Chartered Building Surveyors is a type of Chartered Surveyor involved in all aspects of property and construction, from supervising large mixed-use developments to planning domestic extensions

With the new Building Control (Amended) Regulations S.I.9 2014 the building owner now must choose one of the above professional to become an assigned certifier for their project.
I am an architect and as such I love to design spaces to live and work in. More and more red tape and regulations are making my job more difficult. I do not mind responsibility, if it is shared equally.
At this stage I am afraid that good design will suffer. Not with me and my clients but in general. As the paper work seems to take centre stage. For me most important is liveability in my dwellings.
If getting the paper work right is more important than the building being built then that is a sad state of affairs. There more to a well designed building then filling out the proper forms.

Be warned anybody can still submit a planning application but only one of the professionals mentioned can submit a Commencement notice at the start of build and sign a Certificate of compliance at the end of build.

If you already have a assigned certifier in mind look them up:

Is your Architect registered? 
The Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI)

Is your Engineer registered? 
Engineers Ireland (EI) 
The Association of Consulting Engineers of Ireland (ACEI)

Is your Building Surveyor registered?
The Society of Chartered Surveyors of Ireland (SCSI)

Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Building Control (Amendment) Regulations (part2)

The new Building Control (Amendment) Regulation 2014  S.I-9 ( part 2) will come into force on 1st of April 2014.

This is in relation to the planning application that needs to be applied for before construction can start.

At application stage the building owner must nominate a "Assign Certifier Planning" 

The assigned certifier planning must be: neighbours son, friend's daughter, woodwork teacher, art student or anyone who can draw parallel lines and complete the application form.

The Assign Certifier Planning must certify to do the planning application to the best of their ability within a promised time frame.

PLANNING  CERTIFICATE forms can be found on BCRAprilFooledYa.com/e/on